Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (ESWT) or, plainly, Shockwave therapy is a commonly used treatment modality in orthopaedics and sports medicine.
The therapy utilises acoustic waves produced by a handheld applicator and delivers them into areas of the body where you might be experiencing pain and inflammation that may be chronic or acute in nature.
Shockwave therapy works on a number of biophysical and biochemical pathways to help start regenerative and reparative processes in bones, tendons and other soft tissues.
These processes cause:
- New micro-blood vessel formation (angioneogensis) in and
around the injured area.
- The reversal of the inflammatory process via release of mast
cells, chemokynes and cytokynes.
- The stimulation of collagen production in injured tendons and
- The dissolution of calcium build ups in soft tissue, which is then
reabsorbed into the body.
- Reduction of “Substance-P”, a neurotransmitter that mediates
pain and inflammation in the body.
- The release of trigger points within the muscles fibres.
We are very lucky here at South Coast Sports Podiatry to have one of the only Swiss made Storz extracorporeal shockwave therapy machines in the Illawarra and South Coast and with dozens upon dozens of satisfied patients we are confident that we will have you back in action sooner!
If you suffer from any lower limb pain such as:
- Plantar fasciitis
- Achilles tendinitis
- Patellar tendinitis
- Tight calves
Then click here to organise a booking and get moving better, sooner!